
Thanks to Jack McCorkell who contributes to the ancestry.com forums I have been taking another look at the origins of my Surname, having dismissed out of hand any relationship to the Isle of Man. (Maybe a little to hasty I might add) I replied to a post in ancestry.com without fully researching my reply.
Although I standby my ascertain that the name McCorkell arrived in Ireland through Scotland as part of the Plantation of Ulster in the 1600's, I have no evidence to for any other migrations. Apart from 1 record from 1550 discussed in previous post I can find no other references to the name in Scotland in recognizable form earlier than this date.
In the Isle of Man however the name appears in the Manx Note Book as far back as 1408 with many references in the following century http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=McCorkell+OR+McCorkill++site:isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook&start=10&sa=N
The remarkable aspect of these names for the time period is the spelling is unchanged, forgive my skepticism but looking at any name from these time periods and the spelling will be quite different, eg. Janet M'Korkyll (1561 Scotland). A famous name like Shakespeare from the mid 1500's is spelt at least 10 different ways depending on the document.
If these are original documents then they are remarkable and McCorkell/ill must go down as one of the least changed names in the English language, I will have to take a closer look at these documents.....
To be continued.
No comments:
Post a Comment